Friday 5 March 2010

Trainer Training Day 2. Chaining/anchoring states and voice rhythm

My spot at the mic yesterday must have made an impression as my different striped shirt was commented upon. We have another 4 days to go and I have a different striped shirt for each day. They have been warned (meta model violation here... who specifically).
Richard's nested loops first thing were as entertaining as ever. I wish I knew shorthand as I would love to have noted them down for deconstructing later. The main morning exercise was spent with each of us elicitating 2 states separately with an audience of four (let's start small) and then anchoring the states and testing the anchors. Were we able to elicit those states in our audience? Richard's comment was "you are all trying too hard". We were thinking about it too much and not just going with the flow and doing it. "You are making pictures in your head. Stop it as it's distracting the audience". I think that it's the equivalent going inside and of being self selfish.
Feedback from my "audience" was positive. Point to note: Neil, use your tonality better.
John was with us for the afternoon. Brain juice, neuro "trance" mitters and neuro in big biters.
First voice and rhythm. A rather hysterical exercise. We were split into four different groups (according to rows) and had to play a rhythm which was then "orchestrated" into a complete composition. Our group had the disadvantage of making the rhythm with a sound that covered the people sitting in front of us with spit. Let's anchor that right now. Test it just with the sound of a spit :-)
Now mix the four different groups and let's play the composition. Oeps we did try and we made music of sorts.
Next the rotation exercise with the hips, then to add voice to the rhythm. Remove the hip rotation and just use our voices. Oh dear, I am speaking to the rhythm and not in between so I am sounding rather strange. This one is difficult and needs more practice
Next up we had to elicit 5 states. This I enjoyed as I love using metaphors. First time around feedback was "more differences in tonality". Second time around I was much better and my rhythm is greatly improving. Third time around (yes I wanted the practice) I elicitated and anchored a great suspense state. Feedback, shoulders up and back for the positive states.
One of our group was from Japan and elected to do the exercise in her native language. Wow, this is the first time I have seen the equivalent of a short play in Japanese. A language that not only uses words but is very reliant upon body language to accentuate augment the words. A joy to experience.

No comments: