Wednesday 23 June 2010

Seeing Lisbon




Rome is being described as being built on "7 hills". Lisbon on the other hand is persistantly hilly. I decided that the best way to see Lisbon was by tram. So, I embarked on a city tour with the "red car tram 7 hills tour with the "Hop on hop off" system! The car was packed as we set off from the Praca do Comercio, earphones at the ready. The interior of the tram reminded me of the interior of the Glasgow underdround carriages of the 1960s and 1970s; premodernisation days. I stayed on the whole 90 minute tour as often when we stopped for passengers to disembark there were not enough seats for the people waiting outside to get on.
Boy oh boy, how the tram got down some of the narrow streets is a marvel. This tour is really fabulous. Not because I didn't my bearings of the areas of Mouraria, Alfama, Chiado, Sao Bento, and Estrela. I could never reach or find some of the sights again. Lisbon is just too big. The trip was worth it for seeing what I saw. Reminder... keep the tram ticket as I can use it for the next 24 hours for free tram travel.

No comments: