Friday 18 June 2010

More Lisbon


If only getting about the centre of Lisbon was as easy as the trip from the airport to the hotel and also from the hotel to Entre Campos; the station from which I caught the train to Albufeira. When I visit a new city I always like to walk around as I get to see much more and also get a real feel for a city.


With Lisbon, the map is most certainly not the territory. The receptionists directions to Bairro Alto were "at the top of the road folow the yellow tram". What yellow tram!!!!! So no dinner for me in a restaurant at the elusive Bairro Alto on my first evening. However, I did find a relaxing terrace bar for a few pre-dinner drinks before eating locally at an Italian restaurant (Valentinos) just a few metres walk from the hotel.


After breakfast the next morning the receptionist didn't want to show me on the map where the nearest shopping centre of supermarket were. She preferred to tell me because, in her own words, "it is easier". Now with directions I am a very visual guy. I want to follow the streets on the map. If I just hear directions they don't mean anything to me. The supermarket is just down the street from the train station. Did she mean metro station? Nope!!! Trainstation!!! The previous evening I never saw the train station she mentioned. Oh... here's another clue comming. "The train station is by a big clock". What big clock? If it's a big clock then surely I would have already seen it. I know what clocks look like. "And, the shopping centre is round the corner from the Marques do Rombal at the top of the Avenida de Liberdade. That one was easy. I could visualise where it was as the Avenida is a rather long road the Aerobus stopped at a few times on the way from the airport.


I eventually did find Bairro Alto, although that involves telling the story of the wooden trolley buses/trams.


It was 31 degrees celcius when I got of the train at Albufeira The 3 hour 1st class trip had been very comfortable. Mum was down by the pool in the shade. "Oh he's here. He's early" Mum was genuinely glad to see me.

No comments: